Position: The Board of Elders is responsible for aiding the Pastor in his pastoral duties at his request. They are responsible for watching over the doctrine, life and official conduct of the pastor, other workers and officers of the congregation and over the spiritual welfare of the entire congregation. The Elders provide for reverent and orderly conduct of worship services.
Requirements: Established by Article VI of the Constitution. The Board of Elders shall consist of at least six Voting Members who have been elected by the Voters Assembly. One-half of the Elders shall have a term of office expiring in one year, the other half in the following year. Elders elect their own chairman by ballot of the Board Members present at the first meeting of the new year. The Board Chairman must attend or send a representative to all Voters and Council Meetings. The Pastor and President of the congregation are ex-officio members of the Board of Elders.
Time Commitments: Approximately six hours per month. This consists of monthly meetings and other Elder duties as assigned.
Voters’ Meeting: Regular meetings of the Voters’ Assembly are held during the months of February, April, June, September, November and December.
Church Council: Regular meetings of Church Council are held during the months that there are no Voter’s meetings – January, March, May, July, August, and October.
Responsibilities of Board of Elders
- Assist in distribution of Holy Communion on a scheduled basis
- On a scheduled basis, be “Elder in Charge” for Worship Service (insure acolyte is present, assist Pastor as necessary, lead worship in the event of Pastors’ illness)
- Deliver videos and tapes to shut-ins
- Visit shut-ins or those in hospital as appropriate
- Assist Pastor with Baptisms of members on Elders list
- Verify that members are notified in the event of a death in the congregation (if appropriate)
- Make contact with each individual or family on Elders list at least once a year
- Appoint a Communicant Member of the congregation Chairperson of the Ushering committee for each calendar year, subject to ratification by November Voters Assembly
- Serve on Nominating Committee (if term is not expiring at end of current year)
- Serve on Salary Committee (if term is expiring at end of current year)
- Other duties as defined in the Constitution
Budget: Elders are responsible for providing input at the annual budget meeting for the following:
- Outreach (several line items)
- Conferences and Workshops
- Guest Speakers
- Misc Pastoral Supplies
- Worship Supplies
- Service Bulletins
- Baptismal Medallions
- Member Assessments
Note: Expectations of the Salary Committee are detailed in a separate procedure – “Salary Committee”
- District Training Seminars
- Books, Videos or speakers
- Previous Board members
Revised January 2007